Picture of the Day 2012

Picture of the Day: 2012. I try to take at least one picture each day. Sometimes they are exciting, sometimes not so much.

Sunday, January 14, 2024

A Trail Through Time

 Jan 14, 2024

On our way to the park this morning, I saw a lot of activity at the nearby Devil’s Millhopper State Park. As the dog was getting his exercise, I googled what was up at DMSP. It was an event celebrating the 50th anniversary of the park! I’m still feeling a bit under the weather, but I really do need to start getting out and doing more, so I decided to go and check it out.

The trail around the rim of the sinkhole had rangers and volunteers dressed in period costumes from the 1500s through modern day, and each would give a little talk about what was going on in this area during their time. It was a lot of fun, and educational! :)

Hard to narrow it down to just one photo, but I’m going with the spearhead artifact on display. The volunteer dressed as the character from the 1970s (for reasons), also collects fossils, and artifacts. He joked that he has gone on excursions all over the world, but the most interesting find he’s ever made, was digging in his backyard, which wasn’t too far away from the park. The spearhead is estimated to be 8000 years old, and it’s all in one piece which is pretty cool. He was a really interesting guy, and very knowledgeable about the geology of the area. Funny thing is, I’ve met him before—at the dog park! LOL! 


===========================================================================
MitM

This one actually is one of my current favorite songs :)


No comments:

Post a Comment