Picture of the Day 2012

Picture of the Day: 2012. I try to take at least one picture each day. Sometimes they are exciting, sometimes not so much.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Homer

June 23, 2012
We didn't have any activities planned today, and my dad wasn't up to leaving the ship, so I disembarked and just walked around the Homer spit. It was awesome! So beautiful! I feel like I need a new word, but sheesh! Alaska is just beautiful!

Homer is the main port of the Time Bandit from the tv show "Deadliest Catch", but they must have been out at sea. I saw lots of Time Bandit logos, but no Time Bandit.

The free shuttle from the ship dropped us off near some shops on the spit. It was a needle of land sticking out with one row of shops on either side of a road. Behind one row of shops was the beach and then the ocean. I headed that way and enjoyed the landscape. In the middle of the beach there was this stream of water running through it. I saw an eagle hanging out at the ocean's edge and wanted to get closer to get a better picture, so I started walking down the beach looking for a place I could jump over the stream of water. I walked about a mile and was able to get close enough to get some good pictures. I saw more eagles as I walked as well. Some were mature with the full bald head, some were adolescents with speckled feathers. It was really cool watching them.


No comments:

Post a Comment