Picture of the Day 2012

Picture of the Day: 2012. I try to take at least one picture each day. Sometimes they are exciting, sometimes not so much.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Yes We Ketchikan

June 17, 2012
Happy Father's Day :)  I took my dad to Alaska; what did you do? Our first port of call was Ketchikan and we had signed up to go on an excursion to the Saxman (Cape Fox) Village--a Tlingit village--and the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan itself.

This was inside the beaver clan house. A dance group performed several native dances and chants. I really liked looking at their decorated cloaks/blankets. Each person had their clan totem on the back. They taught us that there were two main clans--Eagle and Raven. Then under those were about thirty different smaller clans. Most of the dancers were kids and they all seemed to really be into it.

The Lumberjack show was cool too--totally hammed up, but fun :) Hopefully I'll get my videos edited and uploaded someday. Back on the ship, I hung out on the aft deck again watching bald eagles soaring over the water and hills. Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment