Picture of the Day 2012

Picture of the Day: 2012. I try to take at least one picture each day. Sometimes they are exciting, sometimes not so much.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Snorkeling

Mar. 8, 2012


When Mike mentioned that I wanted to try snorkeling again, Jake said he could take me. He snorkels a lot, had his own equipment, and knew a few places to go that wouldn't cost a lot. That afternoon the three of us headed out looking for Santa Maria Beach. Jake told us on the way that he and his dad got hepatitis there 20 years ago--that was comforting.

Once you get away from the immediate tourist area, Cabo is a desert. I thought it was pretty funny that here we are, going to the beach:

Notice the cacti in the background--beach!

Well, we actually had a really good time. The sand was different than any other beach I've been to, it was more like very small pebbles--it was quite difficult to walk. Once we were situated and got our towels down, Mike parked himself to watch our stuff and Jake and I went in the water. It was cold but I adjusted. It was a little frightening snorkeling without all the safety measures there were in St. Croix--no guides, no life vest, and no prescribed area--but the beauty of the reef and fish took all that out of my mind.

Jake was actually an excellent guide. He was able to dive down and get a closer look at things which he would then point out to me. I lost track of all the different fish we saw. There were brilliant blues, yellows, and purples all around. We took a short break when an actual tour boat full of snorkelers came by the same spot, and when they left we headed back in the water. Jake timed it perfectly and we got out before I was utterly exhausted. I was tired and happy and thankful :)


There was more going on that night, but I think I'll have to start a travel blog or something to show more of each trip. This is just supposed to be "Picture-A-Day" after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment